On June 4, 2021, Facebook announced that former U.S. President Donald Trump would continue to be banned from the platform until at least 2023. "We will evaluate external factors, including instances of violence, restrictions on peaceful assembly and other markers of civil unrest", the post added.
Some on the Left who were demanding a lifetime ban complained that the ruling on his ban meant that Trump was most likely going to return to Facebook.
"They shouldn't be allowed to get away with this censoring and silencing, and ultimately, we will win. Our Country can't take this abuse anymore!" the press release stated. The so-called Crisis Policy Protocol, it said, will help the company determine when to apply its more nuanced, context-specific policies.
Angelo Carusone of the left-leaning watchdog group Media Matters for America, called Facebook's move risky, saying that if Mr Trump is reinstated, "the platform will remain a simmering cauldron of extremism, disinformation, and violence".
The closed-door interview with Don McGahn, which came two years after House Democrats originally sought his testimony, was originally part of Democrats' efforts to investigate whether Trump tried to obstruct Justice Department investigations into his 2016 presidential campaign.
Trump aide Jason Miller confirmed that the shutdown was a "precursor to him joining another social media platform". A blog he launched on his existing website earlier this year was shut down after less than a month.More news: 'I was right about Wuhan lab': Trump demands China pay $10 trillion
Nonetheless, the new rules being applied to Trump mark a sharp break with the hands-off approach to political speech that Facebook has taken for years. Others can still read and comment on Trump's past posts, but he and other account handlers are unable to post new material. Future violations, it said, will be met with "heightened penalties, up to and including permanent removal".
The controversial exemption, given to politicians under the auspices of their posts being newsworthy, could end as soon as this week on the leading social network, the news site said.
The company has also suspended his account on Instagram, which Facebook owns.
Facebook, along with other major media platforms Twitter and YouTube, had suspended Trump's accounts after the Capitol Hill riots, alleging that the Republican leader's rhetoric had instigated the attack.
Facebook declined to comment. Specifically, the board cited Facebook's rules against "dangerous individuals and organizations", which prohibit anyone who proclaims a violent mission and ban posts that express support or praise of these people or groups. We are suspending his accounts for two years, effective from the date of the initial suspension on January 7 this year.
The former president criticized the decision in a statement. Facebook said it was implementing 15 of the 19 board recommendations.More news: Virus variants get new names - to help us keep them all straight
The oversight panel called on Facebook to justify why his ban should be permanent - sending the matter back to Mr Zuckerberg, who has long argued that private companies should not be the arbiters of truth online.
Activists joined together in a group that facetiously calls itself The Real Facebook Oversight Board decried the social network's latest steps as belated and insufficient.
Last summer, for instance, Zuckerberg chose to leave up posts by Trump that suggested protesters in Minneapolis could be shot, using the words "when the looting starts, the shooting starts".
Trump issued a statement on the continued suspension.
Clegg says, regarding the Oversight Board and their punt, "we absolutely accept that we did not have enforcement protocols in place adequate to respond to such unusual events" as January 6th.More news: Horror: Remains of 215 children found at Canadian school site