The weekend attack at Natanz was initially described only as a blackout in the electrical grid feeding above-ground workshops and underground enrichment halls - but later Iranian officials began calling it an attack.
As for Iran rolling back its violations of the deal, President Rouhani has said this would take no time at all, and that it would be a matter of loosening a few screws and tightening a few more.
Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi in Vienna on Tuesday said that 1,000 centrifuges will be added to Natanz in addition to moving toward 60% enrichment. Suspicions have instead fallen on Israel, especially after several Israeli media outlets first reported Sunday that an Israeli attack and ensuing explosion took entire sections of the nuclear site offline. And much like the assassination of a top Iranian nuclear scientist in November, experts say the incident was part of Israel's broader effort to undermine the move to revive the JCPOA.
Rouhani noted that Iran's security bodies were yet to provide a final report but that the incident appeared to be "Zionists' crime".
Iran insists its nuclear program is peaceful, though the West and the International Atomic Energy Agency say Tehran had an organized military nuclear program up until the end of 2003.More news: BC tops 3,000 new COVID-19 cases in the province since Friday
The blackout comes just days after Iran and the USA began indirect negotiations over both countries re-entering the 2015 nuclear deal, possibly imperiling those talks if Iran sees growing pressure on its nuclear program as a reason to push it further.
Iran had been enriching up to 20% - even that was a short technical step to weapons-grade levels of 90%. Iran has always denied it is seeking a nuclear bomb, while Israel has vowed it will stop the Islamic republic from ever building an atom bomb, which it considers an existential threat to the Jewish state.
Meanwhile, the United Kingdom, France and Germany - the "E3" group of European powers - have expressed concern over Iran's decision. However, the nuclear deal prevented it from having enough of a uranium stockpile to be able to pursue a nuclear weapon.
"Enabling IR-6 (centrifuges) at Natanz today, or bringing enrichment to 60 percent: this is the response to your malice", Rouhani said in a message aimed at arch-enemy Israel, in televised remarks. Meanwhile, the Biden administration has maintained there will be no sanctions relief until Iran complies with the deal again, though the State Department said last week that the U.S. is willing to lift sanctions "inconsistent" with the accord.
In Vienna, the latest sabotage attack, which Iran described as "nuclear terrorism" and for which it blamed Israel, is a reminder to all sides that there is urgency, and that any outcome of the talks will have to satisfy not only Iran, the United States and other world powers, but also Israel and Iran's neighbours.More news: China, S Korea wary of release of Fukushima treated water into sea
"What you did was nuclear terrorism; what we've done is legal", he added.
Those talks in Austria's capital are set to resume Wednesday, with the US meeting European parties still in the nuclear deal, while Iran meets all the remaining parties, including Russian Federation and China.
"From tonight, practical preparations for 60% enrichment will begin in Natanz; 60% uranium is used to make a variety of radiopharmaceuticals", the semi-official Fars news agency quoted Iranian nuclear agency spokesman Behrouz Kamalvandi as saying.
Iran began producing 20%-enriched uranium in January as part of its response to the United States sanctions reinstated by former President Donald Trump when he abandoned the accord three years ago.More news: Thirty-Five New COVID-19 Cases Reported Locally