Beginning Saturday and until at least February 8, Quebecers will be under a curfew from 8 p.m.to 5 a.m., Legault said, adding that anyone caught breaking the rules is liable to a fine between $1,000 and $6,000.
Legault referred to the curfew and extension of business closures as a form of shock therapy to relay the severity of the situation to Quebecers, asking specifically the people 65 and over be especially cautious. Too many seniors are ending up in hospital after becoming infected in private homes, he said.
Some of those restrictions may include adding another week to remote-learning for school children, and shutting down non-essential activities in the manufacturing and construction sectors, Quebec Public Health has made a recommendation that the province consider imposing a curfew, and if it is imposed, it would be Quebec's first curfew since the start of the pandemic, reports CBC Canada.
He said the impact of cancelled procedures is already being felt: breast cancer patients are presenting with larger tumours than they were before the pandemic, a sign that they're being diagnosed late.More news: NJDOL: Eligible Workers Set to Receive $300 Supplemental Unemployment Payments
The Quebec government is set to unveil the details of stricter lockdown measures at an afternoon news conference, as the rising number of COVID-19 cases threatens to overload the health-care system.
"We're talking about saving people's lives", Legault said. The "partial measures" now in place in Quebec, she said, have had "no effect on the increasing trend of cases".
"This measure will allow young people who do not have Internet access at home to have access to it", the government website reads. The Health Department said hospitalizations jumped by 76, to 1,393 - the largest number since late May - and 202 people were in intensive care, a rise of eight.
A paramedic stands next to an ambulance outside a hospital in Montreal. Bars, restaurant dining rooms, gyms and event venues are all closed.More news: Cloud District Accelerates Plan to Return Students to Schools
Secondary schools, meanwhile, will open on January 18 with mandatory in-class mask-wearing.
Borges Da Silva, however, said she thinks a curfew makes sense because it will force people to ask themselves whether it's really worth it before they go out and, for example, have a beer with a friend.
Ford said he wants to see where COVID-19 cases go in the next little while before implementing something similar for Ontario.
Wednesday 6,221 doses of vaccine were administered, for a total of 38,984 so far in the province.More news: Ignore us at your peril, protesting India farmers warn government
Quebec's public security minister said she doesn't expect the province's upcoming curfew to have a major impact on people who are following the rules. Ontario reported another 37 deaths amid 3,266 new cases of the novel coronavirus as hospitals, particularly in southern Ontario, warned the intensive care situation had become dire. The province also confirmed 47 COVID-19 deaths, with 13 that occurred in the last 24 hours.