Louisiana is in line to receive nearly $3.3 million as part of a $113 million settlement of allegations brought by 34 states that the company deliberately slowed performance of older iPhones when their batteries degrade, Attorney General Jeff Landry said Wednesday. Earlier this year, the company agreed to a $500 million class-action settlement to pay affected users.
The attorneys general say Apple discovered the battery issues were leading to unexpected shutdowns but concealed the issue, leading to consumers buying new phones when they only needed new batteries.
Apple did not immediately reply to request for comment.More news: NBA’s Raptors denied permission to play in Canada, head to Tampa
The second settlement will cover 34 USA states, including the District of Columbia. On Wednesday, more than 30 states announced a settlement with Apple over the company's past practice of slowing down a phone's battery.
After being called out on this practice in 2017, Apple claimed that its goal was to smooth out the performance of older batteries when using newer software, as these batteries struggled to support the peak current demands in certain conditions.
Apple eventually accepted the settlement and agreed to replace old batteries at a heavily-discounted price.More news: UK PM says military budget cuts era over
Apple has been sentenced to pay an additional $113 million (around £85.1m) in damages following the high-profile Batterygate scandal, as per a Washington Post report. "No part of this Judgment, including its statements and commitments, shall constitute evidence of any liability, fault, or wrongdoing by Apple". For Arizona's share it will be used to pay for the attorney fees and to fund future investigations relating to consumer protection.
"In addition to the monetary payment, Apple also must provide truthful information to consumers about iPhone battery health, performance, and power management", Brnovich's office added. "I'm committed to holding these goliath technology companies to account if they hide the truth from their users", added Brnovich.More news: Reuters tally: Europe's COVID-19 cases surpass 15 million mark