Victorian premier Daniel Andrews is confident the 2021 Australian Open will go ahead amid the coronavirus pandemic and concerns over worldwide travel.
It came days after reports said lead-up events would be held in Victoria, rather than around Australia, to minimise travel ahead of the year's first grand slam.
Australia is effectively closed to non-residents due to Covid-19 protocols and global arrivals must spend two weeks in quarantine before they can move around freely.
"I think that a bubble however constructed will be a feature and not just that, that's the way cricket will operate, that's the way the grand prix will operate some time later and many, many other events".
"If we have to quarantine for 14 days inside a room and then go play a Grand Slam, I mean, I will do it because it's my job and I have to find a way", said the ATP Player Council member.
While there was much excitement about a tennis bonanza in Melbourne across January in the lead up to the Australian Open, Tiley said some tournaments in the first weeks of next year may have to be played without crowds.More news: 4 things to know about CDC's new warning against traveling for Thanksgiving
"We are working very, very closely with Tennis Australia".
'We understand there is uncertainty about the start of the 2021 season, and we are working as hard as possible to deliver the best possible calendar of events to players'.
Soares, playing in the doubles event at the ATP Finals in London this week, said it would be tough to play with no practice.
Tennis Australia has been hoping for several months that the Victorian and Australian governments would approve a plan for players to start arriving in mid-December and to quarantine in a special training hub with their restricted entourages.
"As far as I know so far, the Australian Open will happen whether it's in the current week or the week later".
Tennis Australia on Monday flagged plans to move warm-up events from across Australia to the state of Victoria.More news: Post-Brexit talks hit new delay after Barnier official gets COVID-19
Asked about the looming Australian Open, defending champion and record-setting eight-time victor Djokovic told reporters following his ATP Finals loss to Daniil Medvedev on Wednesday: "There's several options I hear that are on the table and I think Tennis Australia has been very communicative and very open with the process with us players".
Mr Andrews said he's confident the tennis tournament will proceed - but it remains to be seen how many global stars will compete as confusion reigns over quarantine requirements. "There is more work that has to be done and we're deeply engaged with Tennis Australia and others to get that outcome". "I mean, you can basically flip a coin who wins".
Australia has largely brought COVID-19 to heel, with Victoria recording no new cases for almost three weeks. "Hopefully we'll be able to have at least a tournament before the Australian Open".
"I'm planning to play Australian Open for sure", he said.
But he said on Thursday that any plan for the tournament would likely see it held in a bubble, which is what players endured during this year's U.S. Open in NY and is an idea previously discussed by Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley.More news: Feds set to release alarming new COVID-19 modelling in Canada