Tunisian forces shot dead three assailants who rammed their vehicle into security officers and attacked them with knives, killing one officer and injuring another in the coastal resort town of Sousse.
An Interior Ministry statement said Sunday that the assailants took refuge in a school after the attack and died in a shootout with security forces.
The assault took place in the tourist city of Sousse, the site of the worst of several jihadist attacks in recent years, where 38 people, a lot of them Britons, were killed in a 2015 beachside shooting.
Three assailants were shot dead after the incident, which is being described as a terrorist attack.More news: Multiple boats sink in Texas lake at pro-Trump water parade
President Kais Saied, on a visit hours later to the sealed-off scene of the knife attack, said police were investigating whether the attack was planned "by individuals or an organisation".
The injured officer was hospitalized. The last serious attack in Tunisia was in March, when two militants on a motorbike blew themselves up outside the USA embassy in Tunis, killing a policeman and wounding several others.
The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for that attack.More news: Bangladesh: At least 18 dead following explosion at mosque in Narayanganj
Just three months later, the 38 tourists were killed in the shooting rampage at Sousse.
While the situation has significantly improved since then, Tunisia has maintained a state of emergency.
The event comes simply 2 days after the federal government of Prime Minister Hichem Mechichi took power, revealing the security difficulties dealing with the North African nation, which struggles with financial and social issues.
The previous attack in Sousse on June 26, 2015 dealt a heavy blow to Tunisia's tourism sector, a pillar of its economy.More news: Jameela Jamil says Meghan Markle is a victim of ‘White Patriarchal Media’