Mauresmo, the 2006 Wimbledon champion, tweeted on Tuesday: "I think that we are going to have to draw a line under the 2020 tennis season".
All England Club chairman Ian Hewitt said the decision had not been taken lightly.
The tennis season screeched to a halt early last month due to the respiratory illness, which has infected nearly 800,000 in the world while killing over 38,500 since emerging in China late a year ago.More news: See Lizzo’s Special Treat For COVID-19 Hospital Workers
The decision also prompted the ATP and WTA to cancel the grasscourt swing in the build-up to Wimbledon meaning the tennis season will not now recommence until July 13 at the earliest. This is necessary in the current situation.
The club in a statement last week confirmed that "it is continuing a detailed evaluation of all scenarios for The Championships 2020, including postponement and cancellation, as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak".
AELTC at the time did not rule out postponing or cancelling the championships.
Meanwhile, Horndorff also said that French Open officials are attempting to reconcile anger within the tennis world at the postponement of the event, but also admitted that he doesn't expect that tournament to go ahead anyway.More news: Coronavirus crisis: Australia’s COVID-19 death toll rises to 21
There is growing speculation the US Open, which says it is "exploring all options" could also move its scheduled August start time.
But, with the coronavirus pandemic in full swing, it's obvious it would be impossible to pull off. "...With the travel restrictions that we now have, an global tennis tournament where hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world would travel [can happen]".
But with tournament timing crucial due to grass condition and weather, Isner has already started to ponder a year without Wimbledon.
"You could reorganise Roland Garros for September or October, but not Wimbledon, the grass would be too damp", Hordorff said.More news: TC Energy going ahead with Keystone XL with help from Alberta government
The men's ATP Tour and the WTA, which runs the women's circuit, suspended all tournaments until June 7 after countries started locking down borders to contain the coronavirus. "Of course, Wimbledon also has enough reserves to last for several years".