I thought that after my last opinion piece regarding the tabloid-propagated racism Meghan Markle and her family endured as she navigated settling into life in the royal spotlight, I would probably not write on the issue again.
The 75-year-old, who has reportedly not spoken to Markle since before her wedding to Prince Harry, justified his involvement with a 90-minute tell-all documentary, "Thomas Markle: My Story", which airs in the United Kingdom on January 22, by arguing that he's owed by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex for the "trashy things" they said about him. The decision that I have made for my wife and I to step back, is not one I made lightly. Harry, meanwhile, remained in England to continue the discussion about the big changes ahead with Queen Elizabeth, Prince Charles and Prince William.
After Prince Harry phoned him to question him about whether he set up the photos, Mr Markle added: "I denied it".
Markle recalled Prince Harry calling him to ask to marry Meghan, but believes it should have been an in-person conversation.More news: Six coronavirus cases discovered in north Italy, hundreds to be tested
The Duke went on to say that despite wanting to continue serving the Queen without public funding, it became apparent such a position was not going to be possible.
'There isn't a great deal of space for Harry and Meghan so they're really looking forward to the future'.
"Harry has taken a wrecking ball to the reputation of the Royal Family", royal historian Christopher Wilson said in an interview. But the royals weren't able to manage it and so therefore they have been damaged. There have been reports that they plan to model their activities along the lines of former US president Barack Obama. "Obama is a very sophisticated operator, a man of the world".
"I doubt he'll miss being a royal".More news: South Korea Reports First Two Coronavirus Deaths
Historian Robert Lacey, who is a consultant to the Netflix series The Crown, disagreed.
"I can't see her reaching out to me, especially now ... or Harry for that matter, but I think both of them are turning into lost souls at this point", he said.
"Actually, on the Piers show I lied", Thomas admitted in the Channel 5 documentary. However, it's not clear who will pay for the couple's security costs, which are estimated at around £600,000 annually.More news: Irish parliament returns with weeks of government talks ahead
Earlier this month, Winfrey spoke out amid a report that she had advised Meghan and Harry on their decision. He did two tours of Afghanistan with the British Army and earned the rank of captain.