There's more bad news about the flu.
Doctor Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases said children are particularly vulnerable to Influenza B/Victoria and that this year's flu vaccine is not a good match for it. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention recommends people get injectable flu shots.
More information about the flu and resources in Orange County is available here.More news: Democrats release new documents on eve of impeachment trial
And even though it is best to get vaccinated before the end of October, getting vaccinated once the flu season is upon us is still better than not getting vaccinated at all.
The flu is now widespread in nearly every single state and according to the CDC, we're seeing a record breaking deadly flu season for children.
"Even if the flu vaccine isn't a ideal match there's great merit to getting the flu vaccine", Dr. Keown said, "It's like wearing a seat belt, it doesn't guarantee you won't get in auto crash but less likely to be terribly hurt".More news: Credit Card Gambling Banned in the United Kingdom
See, that 58% match essentially means that if you (or your child) are exposed to the B/Victoria strain of the flu virus, there's only a 58% chance you'll be protected from it with the flu shot-and there's a 42% chance that you may still get the flu. People at higher risk for flu-related complications include children ages newborn to 5, adults over the age of 65, pregnant women and people who have existing medical conditions such as asthma. A good match means "the antibodies produced by vaccination protect against infection with circulating viruses", the agency explains.
To receive a flu shot, you should contact your health care provider or pharmacy.More news: Newly Released Photos Show A 'Missile City' In Iran