It took place when five buses Escorted by the Burkina Faso military, they traveled to the Boungou mine in Semafo, an open-pit gold mine in the eastern part of the country, some 40 kilometers away.
There is no danger to the mine itself at the moment, the company has said meanwhile.
During a Security Council meeting on peace in Africa last month, Mr. Guterres declared that the sprawl of terrorist networks is a growing, transnational threat to the continent, with a pervasive climate crisis exacerbating violence, and straining resources.More news: Shangela, Bob the Drag Queen, Eureka land HBO series
Unidentified assailants attacked a convoy transporting employees of a Canadian gold mining company in Burkina Faso, killing 37 people and injuring 60 others, officials said. In August 2018, a Semafo employee and a subcontractor were killed when a bus carrying workers was attacked, and five police officers and an employee were killed in another attack a few days earlier.
Semafo says the mine site in the West African country remains secured, but has suspended operations out of respect to the victims and to ensure operational safety.
At least 38 people are dead, according to the Burkinabè president, with dozens wounded in Wednesday's attack.More news: US captain Tiger Woods picks himself to play in Presidents Cup
Guterres reiterated the full support of the United Nations to the government of Burkina Faso in its continuing efforts to ensure peace and stability in the country.
The attacks have been claimed by a range of jihadist groups, including al-Qaeda and the Islamic State.
Reports indicate that hundreds of people have been killed so far this year and more than 150,000 have fled their homes due to attacks across the Sahel region.More news: Billie Eilish Debuts An Edgy New Mullet Haircut - See Before & After Pics
The ambush underscores the deteriorating security situation in Burkina Faso, which observers say has increasingly become a refuge for jihadis from neighboring Mali and Niger.