The Mongolian authorities have lifted a six-day quarantine on 118 those that were imposed after a Mongolian couple died of bubonic plague.
Ariuntuya Ochirpurev of the World Health Organization also confirmed that 118 people had come into contact with the Mongolian couple, and that they were quarantined and treated.
The couple ate the rodent's meat and kidney while in Mongolia because they believed it would serve as a remedy to bring "good health", a World Health Organization spokesperson told the BBC. The quarantine was lifted on May 7, 2019. She died on May 1 from toxic shock.More news: Venezuela: Fears for Juan Guaidó as deputy seized
"After the quarantine [was announced], not many people - even locals - were in the streets for fear of catching the disease", Sebastian Pique, an American Peace Corps volunteer living in the region, told Agence France-Presse. However, plague kills around one person a year in Mongolia directly because of eating raw infected rodent meat, according to a report in the Centers for Disease Control And Prevention (CDC) journal Emerging Infectious Diseases.
The couple was diagnosed posthumously with plague, the age-old disease caused by the bacterium Yersinia pestis.
Symptoms of the plague includes fever, chills and weakness.More news: Raptors vs. 76ers Live Stream, TV Channel: Watch Eastern Conference Game 6
Plague is perhaps best known for killing millions of people in Europe in the 1300s during a pandemic called the Black Death. The most common sign of bubonic plague is the rapid growth of a "swollen and painful lymph gland", according to the CDC.
While the plague is very rare, Mongolia, along with the United States, still have cases each year. After six days, and no further cases of plague the quarantine was lifted, but the ministry of health is continuing to monitor the situation.More news: Riverdale's KJ Apa Joins the Fun With the Royal Baby Archie Memes