Acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf previously said that allowing federal authorizes to access the DMV database is the only way that NY residents can regain their access to Global Entry and similar Trusted Traveler programs.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo says he plans to meet with Trump on Thursday; the White House confirmed the meeting.
"You apply for this and you do an in-person interview with the federal government and you provide them all your documentation", he said.More news: Wild trade Jason Zucker to the Penguins for Alex Galchenyuk
The department has already suspended that and other Trusted Traveler Programs for NY residents in response to a state law, and The Northern Light reports deputy secretary Ken Cuccinelli says Washington residents could be next.
Acting Department of Homeland Security Secretary Ken Cuccinelli announced last week that New Yorkers would no longer be allowed to enroll or re-enroll in the traveler programs.
The law, which went into effect in December, allows undocumented immigrants to apply for ny driver's licenses while protecting applicants' information from immigration enforcement agencies.More news: ME resident tested for coronavirus, first suspected case in state: health officials
An agency spokeswoman described the memo to Buzzfeed as "informational" and said it did not affect the decision to cut the expedited travel programs for tens of thousands of New Yorkers.
Cuomo, a Democrat, called the Trump administration's move "extortion" and an effort to punish NY for political purposes. Twelve other states and the District of Columbia also have passed laws allowing illegal immigrants to obtain licenses, but NY was unique in blocking DHS from accessing its DMV records. Cuomo said that federal officials can access criminal records from the FBI. "They want to make political hay out of it", Cuomo said on CNN's "New Day" Thursday morning. "And I think that's what they really want". "You can have it", Cuomo said he told top DHS officials in response to the announcement.
The state's attorney general said NY would sue the Trump administration over the decision to suspend the programs.More news: Global carbon emissions 'flatline' in 2019
"And by the way it's not just NY", he added.