But the thousands of new reported cases don't necessarily represent a sudden surge in new infections - as much as they reflect a new methodology adapted by officials in Hubei province, the epicenter of the outbreak. Though Chinese authorities initially stipulated that only Canadian passport holders would be able to leave the quarantined region, they seem to have relaxed that rule, Champagne said, but he did not elaborate on whether Canada would make arrangements to fly more of them out. "While 195 people were discharged from quarantine on Tuesday, more than 600 people who returned on chartered flights from Wuhan remain under federal quarantine and are being closely monitored to contain the spread of the virus".
The United States has accused China of lacking transparency.
Battling the epidemic is a 'big test for the country's governance system and governance ability, ' said Chinese President Xi Jinping, who chaired a political meeting on government reforms, according to state broadcaster CCTV.
The Hubei provincial health commission suggested that the number of confirmed cases increased after it started counting the number of "clinically diagnosed" people in the province, which allows them to receive the same treatment as those who have tested positive for the illness.More news: Lewis Hamilton's scary message ahead of 2020 Formula One season
The revision added almost 15,000 patients to Hubei's count in a single day, with officials explaining that past cases were included.
The 21-year-old student, going under the pseudonym Tiger Ye, said he first noticed symptoms on January 21 while at home in Wuhan, ground zero for the disease.
The fluctuations in China's official figures, including a huge leap in numbers after clinical diagnostic methods were altered mid-week, has heightened concerns about Beijing's handling of the crisis and the accuracy of vital data.
Two of Hubei's senior health officials were also removed Monday.
He also explained that there are some backlogs in testing and this will help ensure that people get adequate care.More news: NATO to expand Iraq training mission in response to Trump
China's national health commission is expected to provide an update on countrywide infections shortly.
Authorities have placed some 56 million people in Hubei under quarantine since late last month, in an unprecedented effort to stop the new coronavirus from spreading.
Some cities in Hubei tightened restrictions this week, sealing off neighborhoods in what they liken to "war-time" measures.
Chinese authorities have scrambled to deploy protective equipment to Wuhan's hospitals, where doctors and nurses have been overwhelmed by an ever-growing number of patients.
World Health Organization has already said it is aggressively working towards research and development for candidate therapeutics and vaccines.More news: Shannen Doherty admits she is struggling with cancer diagnosis