US soldiers and journalists inspect the rubble at a site of Iranian bombing, in Al Asad air base, Anbar, Iraq, on January 13, 2020.
Four members of the Iraqi Air Force were reportedly injured in the attack, which was attributed to Iran-backed Shiite militia.
No Americans were at the air base during the attack, according to a coalition spokesperson.More news: Billie Eilish to record new 'James Bond' film theme
No group immediately claimed responsibility. "We're not leaving unless they pay us back for it", Trump said.
The assault, soldiers said, went on for two hours.
Staff Sgt Armando Martinez, who had been out in the open to watch for casualties, said he could not believe how easily one missile leveled the concrete blast walls. "The other day, after the attack, one colleague saw an actual shooting star and panicked".
The helicopters had been moved but it destroyed two light hangars and badly damaged portacabins nearby.More news: Gigi Hadid Named Potential Juror In Harvey Weinstein Trial
Military bases hosting United States troops have been subject in recent months to rocket and mortar attacks that have mostly wounded Iraqi forces, but also killed one American contractor last month.
Rouhani said: "Given the importance of security of the region. we've made a decision to have more consultations and cooperation for the security of the entire region".
The Iranian retaliation saw two precise missile strikes on military bases in Iraq where USA and allied troops were stationed. The attack involved at least six rockets in all. Reuters, quoting military officials, identified the wounded as Iraqi soldiers.More news: Zoe Kravitz Provides Update on Catwoman to Ellen