Prosecutors alleged that David Duckenfield, now 75, bore "personal responsibility" for the deaths of 95 Liverpool fans at the Hillsborough stadium in Sheffield on April 15, 1989, during an FA Cup semifinal match against Nottingham Forest.
The 96 Liverpool fans were crushed to death on the standing terrace at the Leppings Lane end of the stadium. United Kingdom law at the time of the disaster provided that no fees could be charged in this case.
The retired chief superintendent stood trial earlier this year, but the jury was discharged after failing to reach a verdict and a retrial was ordered.More news: England's second Test chances rely on Joe Root flourishing
Criminal charges in relation to the Hillsborough disaster were brought in June 2017 following the investigations of the Independent Police Complaints Commission and Operation Resolve, which were launched after the publication of the Hillsborough Independent Panel report in September 2012 and the subsequent quashing of the original inquest verdicts.
At the first trial, ex-Sheffield Wednesday club secretary Graham Mackrell, who denied a charge under the Health and Safety at Work Act, was found guilty of breaching his safety duty regarding the allocation of seven turnstiles used by Liverpool fans. "What a disgrace this has been today and what a shame on this country of ours".
Christine Burke, the daughter of Henry Burke, who was killed in the tragedy, stood in the public gallery and addressed the judge.
While Mary Corrigan, mother of 17-year-old victim Keith McGrath, shouted: "Stitched up again", while other family members were in tears.More news: Plane crash kills multiple Idaho Falls residents
"However, his thoughts and sympathies remain with the families of those who lost their loved ones", he said in statement.
"Ninety-six were unlawfully killed and yet not one person is accountable". I feel so embarrassed to say that is the system within our country.
The family of Tony Bland - who suffered catastrophic injuries at Hillsborough - switched off his life support machine in 1993 as he showed no signs of recovery. They've gone through hell. I look at their faces - please God, give them some peace, they deserve it. "As far as I'm concerned, and I am starting to get angry now, that was a kangaroo court that we all sat through".
Assistant commissioner Rob Beckley, speaking outside court, said: "The jury had a hard and challenging task examining evidence stretching back decades and I respect their decision". Thirty years has meant evidence has been corroded and some people and organisations who should have answered for their actions on the day are simply no longer with us.More news: These Are The Instant Pots You Have Been Looking For
"We also reiterate that the inquests in April 2016 concluded that the behavior of Liverpool supporters did not cause or contribute to the Hillsborough disaster". And 30 years when many people, especially the families, have had to relive their awful experiences.