The best way someone can help their dog is to look before getting in the water or give their dog a bath afterwards to help decrease the risk.
"People need to know about this".
Melissa Martin, a local realtor, said she went with her dogs, Abby, Harpo and Izzy, to a pond in Wilmington so they could play around. Now, their owners say they hope their loss will educate fellow dog lovers about the risky blooms.
"What started out as a fun night for them has ended in the biggest loss of our lives", Martin wrote in a Facebook post that has since been shared more than 15,000 times. 'We need your prayers. "Not sure we're strong enough to get through this without them", Martin wrote in a Facebook post. Dogs can be exposed to the bacteria by drinking it or licking it off their fur.More news: Officer, gunman killed in California highway shootout
Some species produce potent toxins that can sicken or even kill people, pets and wildlife, according to the US Environmental Protection Agency.
Martin told CNN she didn't notice the algae at first, but her veterinarian told her that what appeared to be debris from flowers were blooms of cyanobacteria. If consumed, it can cause abdominal pain, headaches, vomiting, nausea, blistering around the mouth, flu-like symptoms and even liver toxicity and neurological damage. Nitrogen and phosphorus enter bodies of water as a result of human activities, such as agriculture, imperfect wastewater systems, fossil fuels, fertilizers, and the use of soaps and detergents containing those nutrients.
"[The dogs] contracted blue green algae poisoning and there was nothing they could do". He advises all pet parents to keep pets away from any body of water where any algae is present.More news: USA gov’t introduces new rules restricting legal immigration
About 30 minutes later, while driving home, Morgan Fleming said: "We noticed her making weird noises and she threw up and pooped in the vehicle".
A GoFundMe has been created to raise awareness about the algae and get signs in front of all contaminated water to protect other pets. Her $2,000 goal has already been met, with more than $3,400 raised as of Monday afternoon, August 12.
"We are now on a mission to put signs at every body of water that can have this deadly bacteria".
While city officials couldn't confirm to the news outlet that the dogs' deaths were linked to the algae, the report said they did not dispute the algae may be responsible.More news: When does 'Dolemite Is My Name' come to Netflix?