Most shops and businesses remained closed on the third day of a civil disobedience campaign launched by protest leaders after a crackdown on a weeks-long sit-in left dozens dead on June 3.
Also on Monday, Deputy U.N. spokeswoman Eri Kaneko told reporters in NY that the military council had decreed to the African Union-U.N. peacekeeping mission in Darfur to hand over its premises to Sudan's Rapid Support Forces (RSF) as part of the mission's withdrawal in 2020. They have orders from the...
Public transport buses were also ferrying passengers, while more vehicles and people were seen on the capital´s streets. Travel agencies have been hit hard by a nationwide internet blackout on Monday. We are not doing any worldwide flight bookings.
Protest leaders have consistently called on the ruling generals to make way for civilian rule.
The DFCF alliance has tried to sustain the protest movement through a civil disobedience campaign that largely shut down Khartoum on Sunday.More news: China telecom giant Huawei hints U.S. pressure hurting sales
"This shows clearly what we can do, and also in a peaceful way", said protester Ishraga Mohamed.
Abiy visited Khartoum on a mediation mission in which he proposed a 15-member transitional council consisting of eight civilians and seven army officers to lead the country to democracy. "We will continue with it until our goal is achieved", she told AFP.
A leader in the alliance of Sudanese opposition and protest groups told Reuters on Monday that the opposition plans to nominate eight members to a transitional council to lead the country, as well as a prominent economist to head a government.
The crackdown by the military came after negotiations between protest leaders and the generals collapsed late last month over who should lead the new governing body - a civilian or a soldier.
Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, which have close ties with the military council, have said they are watching developments with concern and support a renewal of dialogue.More news: Mitchell Marsh Called Up As Cover For Injured Marcus Stoinis
The US's top diplomat for Africa is going to Sudan this week amid unrest, the state department said on Monday.
The civil disobedience campaign comes a week after a deadly crackdown on protesters in Khartoum left dozens dead and nearly two months since the April 11 ouster of Sudan´s longtime ruler Omar al-Bashir following months of protests.
The state department said Mr Nagy would "urge parties to work towards creating an enabling environment" for talks between the two sides to resume.
Sudanese protesters take part in an anti-government demonstration in Khartoum on 7 February 2019.
The individuals arrested would face justice as soon as possible, the statement said, without specifying their number, rank or what charges they would face.More news: Rain delays Bangladesh-Sri Lanka World Cup 2019 match
"The military council has made a decision to reinforce the presence of armed forces, RSF and other regular forces to help normal life return", a general said late on Sunday.