The protest movement that brought down president Omar al-Bashir after 30 years of iron-fisted rule is demanding a civilian-led transition, which the generals have steadfastly resisted since bowing to their demands and toppling the autocrat.
An attack on the protesters' sit-in around the Defense Ministry on Monday night left at least six people dead, dozens injured, and raised fears the talks might fall apart.
"We made a decision to suspend the negotiations over civil rule for 72 hours to help prepare an atmosphere for completing the deal", Burhan said, demanding that protesters dismantle roadblocks in Khartoum, open bridges connecting the capital and other regions and "stop provoking security forces".
The victims included a military police officer and three demonstrators, state TV said.
The Sudanese Professionals Association, the group that launched the protest campaign against now-ousted leader Omar al Bashir initially in December, urged people to join the sit-in in support of those who have camped there round-the-clock for weeks.
Tensions soared after Monday's shootings, which came a day after protesters blocked a key avenue in Khartoum, an action which the generals said was "totally unacceptable".More news: Realme X, Realme X Lite announced: Price, specifications and more
Protest leaders also told AFP earlier that the military council had suspended the talks.
Sudan's opposition alliance has described the suspension of talks with protesters by the ruling military council as a "regrettable decision".
"While they claimed that a third party was the one who did so, eyewitnesses confirmed that the party was in armed forces vehicles and in armed forces uniforms, so the military council must reveal this party".
Security forces were seen chasing protesters in downtown Khartoum and removing some roadblocks, an AFP correspondent said.
However, the council reportedly pledged it would not use force to disperse the protesters.
Such a council will determine the real wielders of power in Sudan during the transition period before an eventual return to civilian rule.More news: State Dept. Orders Evacuation of Non-Emergency US Government Employees from Iraq
On Wednesday at least nine people were wounded by troops firing live ammunition to clear demonstrators.
"We put the whole responsibility on the military council for what happened yesterday because it's their direct responsibility to guard and protect the citizens", Mohamed Naji al-Assam, a prominent figure in the movement, told reporters.
Sudan's military leaders and opposition groups have agreed to a three-year transition period before general elections.
Mass protests in Sudan continue to call for civilian rule following last month's military coup.
He said of the three-year transition period, the first six months will be allocated to signing peace accords with rebels in the country's war zones like Darfur, Blue Nile and South Kordofan.
The generals want it to be military-led, while the protesters insist on a majority civilian body.More news: Another Pokemon Mobile Game Announced, Out Now In Some Regions
Hashim Ali Sayed, a protester at the sit-in, blamed the former regime for the "dirty work" on Monday. They did not go to the trouble of forcing the general-turned-president out of office so that the military replaces him, they say.