Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Thursday announced that all remaining US diplomats have left Venezuela "for the time being", as relations between the two countries continue to deteriorate. The U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has announced on Monday, March 11, 2019, that it will withdraw all remaining U.S. personnel from the U.S. Embassy in Caracas this week.
USA diplomats began the exodus from the Caracas, Venezuela, embassy earlier this week.
China offered today to help Venezuela restore its power grid, after President Nicolas Maduro accused US counterpart Donald Trump of cyber "sabotage" that plunged the South American country into its worst blackout on record.More news: Hero charged attacker during New Zealand mosque massacre, says witness
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the diplomats will continue their "mission from other locations", and said that the situation is only temporary.
A convoy was seen leaving the U.S. embassy in Caracas on Thursday morning and the American flag was no longer flying outside.
Protests are also planned in the capital of Caracas and other parts of Venezuela as US -backed Guaido seeks to ramp up pressure on Maduro, who says he is the target of a coup plot directed from Washington.More news: Wade exits Bucks game with apparent hip injury
The embassy closure is set to worsen already tattered relations with US President Donald Trump, who has not ruled out military intervention to overthrow Maduro as Washington monitors rapidly unfolding events in the oil-rich but crippled South American nation.
The US has already imposed sanctions created to choke off Venezuelan oil sales, the lifeblood of the leftist government in Caracas.
The US has already imposed sanctions created to choke off Venezuelan oil sales, the lifeblood of the leftist government in Caracas.More news: According to math, Anthem’s current loot grind is pointless
Maduro called for support from allies including Russian Federation and China as well as the United Nations in investigating the USA "cyber attack" he said was responsible for the blackout. The U.S. has led an worldwide effort to oust socialist President Nicolas Maduro and replace him with Guaido, who vows to hold a new presidential election.