This includes funding all his legal costs and providing welfare support.
Prosecutors had been considering evidence in relation to counts of murder, attempted murder and causing grievous injury with intent.
Over time, though, the victims' families got organized, campaigned for justice and eventually, more than 25 years after the killings, when a peace deal was signed in Northern Ireland, the British government committed to a full-scale inquiry.
Pic: Niall Carson/PA Wire Families of those died march through the Bogside in Londonderry, Northern Ireland, towards the Guildhall ahead of the announcement as to whether 17 former British soldiers and two former members of the Official IRA will be prosecuted in connection with the events of Bloody Sunday in the city in January 1972.
Bloody Sunday British paratrooper charged with two murders over massacre | Daily Star
Northern Ireland's Public Prosecution Service considered whether there was sufficient evidence to bring charges against 18 former soldiers, one of whom has since died.
The PPS said there was insufficient evidence to prosecute 16 other soldiers and two official IRA men.
The march had been banned by Northern Ireland's police and the British Army, but organizers wanted a peaceful demonstration, avoiding confrontation at the barricades with the well-armed soldiers.
He said: "This is a remarkable achievement by the families and victims of Bloody Sunday".More news: Apple Announces March 25th Event at the Steve Jobs Theater
Stephen Herron, the director of public prosecutions said in a statement: "In these circumstances, the evidential test for prosecution is..."
Following the publication of the Saville report in 2010, then prime minister David Cameron apologised for the Army's actions, branding them "unjustified and unjustifiable".
"And all the families probably feel the same way, that what we're trying to achieve is for them (the victims)".
"There has been a level of expectation around the prosecution decisions in light of the findings of the Bloody Sunday Inquiry", he said.More news: Lori Loughlin’s Bail Set for $1 Million; Judge Sets Travel Conditions
Papers before prosecutors included 668 witness statements and numerous photos, video and audio evidence.
And speaking to the BBC this week, Derek Wilford, the Parachute Regiment's commander on Bloody Sunday, claimed prosecuting the soldiers would be a "betrayal".
"We recognise the deep disappointment felt by many of those we met with today". Her brother was just 19 years old. I can still see his smiling face that day when he left home.
The British Ministry of Defence has pledged to pay the legal costs of any retired soldiers who might face charges.More news: Air pollution deaths are double earlier estimates, study shows