Almost two weeks since he reported being the victim of a racist and homophobic attack in Streeterville, "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett turned over "limited and redacted" phone records to Chicago Police.
Smollett told cops he was confronted by two men, one wearing a black mask, who called him "Empire f--t n--r" while he was walking home shortly before 2 a.m., hurling gay and racist epithets at him.
"I don't believe it happened the way he said it did", said Agin Muhammad, who lives in the same swank high-rise near the Navy Pier as Smollett.
On Monday, a spokesperson for Smollett told the New York Post in an email that phone records from Smollett's manager, Brandon Z, "were sent to police on February 5 and Jussie's records were sent over this morning".More news: Renault F1 team reveals its auto , has big hopes for improved engine
"I've been in this neighborhood five years". Several days after the story broke, Smollett gave a concert at the Troubadour in West Hollywood, telling the audience that if he did not perform his attackers would win. In addition to thanking his fans for their support, he also seemingly addressed those who doubt the truthfulness of his story, referring to "hateful rhetoric that gets passed around" and stating that such talk will stop with "the people that believe in love".
"I am working with authorities and have been 100% factual and consistent on every level", Smollett said in a previously released statement.
"Despite my frustrations and deep concern with certain inaccuracies and misrepresentations that have been spread, I still believe that justice will be served", he said in his first statement following the alleged attack. The anonymous neighbor says she saw a man that looked like a "redneck" and "what looked like a rope, or a clothesline, protruding from the bottom of his sweatshirt, made of white and blue material". She said that the man with the rope was staring at another man who was standing near a different entrance to the apartment building, according to TMZ.
In the meantime, officials have confirmed Smollett's claims to be credible. "Why can't they find the attack". "Phone records from Jussie's manager were sent to police on February 5 and Jussie's records were sent over this morning".More news: Evgeni Malkin's reckless stick swing secures hearing
A spokeswoman for the Chicago Police Department tells ET that Smollett turned over his cell phone records Monday morning, and that the records "will be analyzed by detectives and we will be in contact with the victim should additional information be needed".
As theGrio previously reported, Smollett claims he was assaulted by two masked men in the early morning hours of January 29, as he was walking home from a nearby Subway sandwich shop.
Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson has said that Smollett, 36, was being treated as a crime victim, but would be held accountable if cops learn he filed a false report.More news: China Expresses ‘Strong Dissatisfaction’ After U.S. Warships Sail near Spratly Islands