Fernando Alonso is to return for a second attempt to win the Indianapolis 500 next year.
In today's announcement of Alonso and McLaren's return to Indy in 2019, Fernando made it no secret that his reason for returning was to complete the triple crown.
The McLaren CEO was asked about the possibility of McLaren running a second auto at the Indy to which Brown replied, "I don't think I am going to comment on that at this moment".More news: Trump ramps up Macron spat by mocking France in world wars
"This will be done by McLaren Racing", he told Racer. We've always had a desire to go as McLaren Racing. Alonso stated, "I had an incredible experience at Indianapolis in 2017 and I knew in my heart of hearts I had to go back if the opportunity was there".
Alonso is now languishing down in 10th spot in this season's Formula One drivers' standings and on Saturday was eliminated from the first session of qualifying for the Brazilian Grand Prix.
"Our commitment to Fernando and ourselves is that we are going to give him and ourselves every chance to be competitive, and we're going there with every chance of trying to win the race", said Brown.
"We have big ambitions, first and foremost to get back to winning World Championships, and winning F1 races, but we think the IndyCar series, the market which is races in, how they go motor racing, is of interest to McLaren".More news: Netflix Announces Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Christmas Special
It had been reported that Alonso was unable to secure a year-long deal in IndyCar due to Honda's hesitance to supply a driver that had previously been scathing of their power units for McLaren and will race with rivals Toyota again in WEC next year.
Although in 2017 McLaren's entry was under the McLaren-Honda-Andretti banner, next year they will return under the McLaren Racing name, presumably racing in the team's distinctive and characteristic papaya orange. "One of the things I'm looking forward to most is seeing the fans again, who are absolutely fantastic".
A new venture when the team is now struggling to up its Formula 1 game might seem as a distraction but Brown assured reporters that it would not be the case. "We're going for it". However, Andretti Autosport CEO, Michael Andretti, confirmed on Twitter later in the evening that his team would "be involved" in circumstances "similar to 2017", seemingly confirming a partnership between Andretti and McLaren once more.More news: Nets' Caris LeVert suffers devastating leg injury