Mr Samuels urged all residents to adhere to the beach closures and to phone Triple 0 in the case of any marine emergency.
The DPI earlier this year released findings from the second shark meshing trial, which found the majority of marine life caught in the nets were non-target species. "He used the board to belt the shark away", Ballina mayor David Wright told Sydney radio station 2GB.
Mr Keogh said the man's injuries were not life threatening.
Shelly Beach and surrounding beaches have been closed for 24 hours.
Beachgoers are urged to follow safety advice, by visiting the Department of Primary Industry's website www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/sharks and the SharkSmart app.More news: Ruth Bader Ginsburg, 85, Released From Hospital After Breaking Ribs in Fall
Shelly Beach - A surfer fought off a shark with his board after being bitten in the leg on Wednesday on Australia's east coast, authorities said, just days after a swimmer died in another attack.
After being pulled from his surfboard, the man saw the shark circling and coming back toward him.
He said the man came onshore, wrapped his leg, and went to the hospital for treatment of a 20-centimetre wound.
But Cr Wright said he was confident in the measures now in place.
"We'll just make sure we tighten up the protocols".More news: Boris Johnson backs brother Jo’s decision to quit over Brexit
Shelly Beach near Ballina in far northern New South Wales, Australia.
DPI continues to work with other agencies including NSW Police Marine Area Command and Surf Life Saving NSW, and will continue to monitor the situation and provide any technical advice and resources if required.
Cr Wright said he was keen to see if the Ballina coast could benefit from drones fitted out with infra-red cameras.
"In the meantime we ask people to avoid going into the water at Ballina".
Daniel Christidis, a 33-year-old Melbourne urologist, was mauled on the first day of a five-day yachting vacation with friends and fellow doctors.More news: Chelsea ride their luck as Giroud’s goal takes them through
It's the third serious shark attack at Cid Harbour in two months with locals and holiday makers in the Whitsundays warned not to swim in the area. In September, two Australian tourists were mauled on consecutive days, one a 12-year-old girl who lost a leg.