Authorities in New Zealand are investigating the discovery of a needle in a punnet of strawberries sourced from Australia.
The Choice brand strawberries were sold in a Woolworths-owned Countdown supermarket in Auckland, one of New Zealand's biggest supermarket chains.
Countdown Supermarket said that the brand had been removed from their stores and encouraged the public to return them to their stores for a full refund.
A PUNNET of Australian strawberries contaminated with needles has been found in New Zealand in the first such reported case across the Tasman.More news: Vikings play like garbage, get embarrassed by Bills at home
They also advised people to cut up any Australian strawberries before eating them.
There have been no reports of any illness or injury in New Zealand.
On Friday, Queensland police and Queensland Health said the investigation was still focused on just a small number of confirmed reports of needle sabotage, while many other incidents were suspected to be copycat actions.
It added that the brand of strawberries affected by this withdrawal "have not previously had any issues of this nature reported and had not been withdrawn from sale in Australia".More news: Stop Brexit? UK’s Labour Party mulls backing new referendum
Mr O'Connor said he was looking into whether Australian strawberries had undergone extra scrutiny in recent weeks.
Rival chain Foodstuffs have also halted deliveries of Australian fruit as a precaution.
Strawberry prices have already dropped around the country, with prices in Western Australia now below the cost of production, local media reported.
Authorities have committed AUS$1 million to assist struggling growers cope with the crisis, while Queensland has offered a AUS$100,000 reward for any information that leads to an the arrest of someone responsible for fruit tampering.More news: Rare tornado leaves path of destruction in Quebec, Canada
Prime Minister Scott Morrison last week said new laws were required to punish the people contaminating food.