Iran's Armed Forces staged the countrywide military parades to mark the Sacred Defense Week on the 38th anniversary of the onset of the Iraqi imposed war on the Islamic Republic back in 1980.
This is a developing story and will be updated accordingly. Some images show bloodied soldiers in military fatigues, and ambulance sirens can be heard wailing in the background. There has been no claim of responsibility for the attack in the city of Ahvaz.More news: Donald Trump's trade war will push up prices, predicts Walmart
Ahvaz, in southwestern Khuzestan province, is home to the small Arab minority in Iran, which is mainly ethnic Persian. The province in the past has seen Arab separatists attack oil pipelines.
Iran's state-run IRNA news agency says 20 people have been wounded in an attack on military parade in Ahvaz. The semi-official Tasnim news agency said at least eight member of the Guard had been killed.More news: Mister Rogers’ Google Doodle offers handsome tribute to beloved children’s TV host
Who carried out the assault also remained in question.
The report Saturday described the assailants as "Takifiri gunmen", a term previously used to describe the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) group. That attack had at that point been the only one by the Sunni extremists inside of Shiite Iran, which has been deeply involved in the wars in Iraq and Syria where the militants once held vast territory.More news: Sergio Agüero signs one-year Manchester City contract extension to 2021
Among those involved are members of the Revolutionary Guard, a paramilitary force answerable only to Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. At least 18 people were killed and more than 50 wounded.