The bodies of dozens of Afghan soldiers have been found at a base that Taliban fighters attacked last week in the southern province of Uruzgan, military officials say.
There were conflicting reports from residents and local officials, however, with some reporting that Taliban fighters were still roaming parts of the city and that gunfire continued throughout the day, while frightened residents hid in their homes.
Heavy fighting was ongoing as of Friday afternoon in the city, where Afghan and North Atlantic Treaty Organisation forces were engaging fighters "by air and ground", Noori said.
Afghan troops were fighting from street to street in the city of Ghazni this morning after a massive pre-dawn assault by the Taliban broke the defences of the strategic provincial city and Islamic fighters advanced towards the centre.
Hemat, the hospital administrator, said two wounded civilians were also brought to the hospital but that the city was shut down and that ambulances were not being sent out.
The spokesman said the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces held their ground and maintain control of all government centers.More news: Australia's most populous state is now entirely in drought
"The Taliban are dropping missiles near residential and commercial areas".
A spokesperson said the attack was "another failed Taliban attempt to seize terrain, which will result in yet another eye-catching, but strategically inconsequential headline".
Taliban has said in a statement that the group stormed Ghazni City from different sides.
Police special forces have also been deployed to help block the Taliban advance, an Afghan security official said.
'Initial reports indicate minimal Afghan security force casualties, ' the USA spokesman said, adding that American forces deployed attack helicopters and conducted a drone strike in the response.
The insurgents frequently exaggerate their battlefield gains and downplay losses incurred during fighting.More news: Phil Thompson predicts where Liverpool FC, Man City will finish
The attack followed a similar assault on Farah in May, when fighters came close to overrunning the city in western Afghanistan.
Officials said clashes between security forces and the Taliban started at around 2.00 a.m., forcing the closure of the main highway linking Ghazni to Kabul, 150 km (95 miles) to the northeast.
The insurgents have also so far ignored an offer by Ghani in February of unconditional peace negotiations.
But there are tentative signs that diplomatic efforts to kick-start talks are starting to bear fruit.
But Washington indicated a change in its longstanding policy in June when US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the United States was prepared to "support, facilitate and participate" in talks.
Last month, Taliban representatives met USA officials for talks in Qatar.More news: Bowing to Israeli bullying, BBC changes Gaza killings headline