"It took a week, and they were taking his legs", said Dawn Manteufel.
"It hit him with a vengeance. Looked like somebody beat him up with a baseball bat", said his wife, Dawn Manteufel.
48-year-old Manteufel began to go into septic shock as the mysterious symptoms continued to worsen.
Doctors say Greg Manteufel's case is simply a fluke. They diagnosed him with a rare blood infection called Capnocytophaga canimorsus. His blood pressure dropped and the circulation in his limbs declined. It was either that, or the bacteria would spread and eventually kill him. He recently had surgery to remove dead tissue and muscle from his leg amputations.
Additional surgeries were done to remove his hands.
Then, three weeks after he was first admitted, both of Greg's hands up to his mid palms were amputated.More news: Zimbabwe's ruling party wins majority seats in Parliament, opposition questions poll
Manteufel's condition has stabilized, but he has more surgeries ahead of him.
The Manteufel family has created a GoFundMe page to raise money for prosthetic limbs for Greg.
Within a week at the hospital, the 48-year-old who paints houses for a living and loves to ride his Harley-Davidson motorcycle lost his legs. He never had any serious medical problems before. Thankfully, it's also very rare, affecting only 0.67 people per million in a nationwide survey in the Netherlands, so dog owners shouldn't worry too much about their beloved pet landing them in a medical catastrophe.
The infection has been devastating for Manteufel and his family.
"He is so thankful to be alive today and is taking one day at a time", it reads.
Greg Manteufel of Wisconsin, had to be rushed to the hospital as a result of an infection caused by coming into physical contact with saliva from a dog. The animals are immune to it.More news: Paul Manafort, ex-Trump campaign chief, to begin trial
A Wisconsin man had to have all his limbs amputated after he contracted a severe infection, likely from a dog lick.
Capnocytophaga Canimorsus, a bacterial pathogen, is typically found in the saliva of cats and dogs.
One 2014 study from Japan found the bacteria to be present in 69 percent of dogs and 54 percent of cats. People over age 40 are more at-risk. While the infection had been seen before in people who'd been bitten by dogs, the doctors noted it was highly unusual that this woman apparently contracted it from her dog who had licked her.
Symptoms typically occur within 3 to 5 days.More news: NRC draft: Former President Fakhruddin's family among those excluded from the list