A man dined on oyster at an unnamed restaurant in Florida's Sarasota County, only to die two days later from a deadly bacteria.
A 71-year-old man has died from a gastro-intestinal illness after consuming flesh eating bacteria on an oyster at a local restaurant. Health officials, however, said this label is misleading since the bacteria do not attack healthy skin.
Health officials say that the man's death was caused by a bacteria known as Vibrio vulnificus, which is commonly found in oysters and other types of seafood.More news: A huge statue of Jeff Goldblum has appeared by Tower Bridge
"Vibrio is a bacteria and it lives in saltwater, or brackish water, so any water that has salt in it and it's there essentially all of the time", Said Michael Drennon, who is the Disease Intervention Services Program Manager for Florida Department of Health Sarasota County.
Officials said this was the first confirmed case and death from Vibrio vulnificus in Sarasota County this year, with no reported cases last year, The Sun-Sentinel said.
In Manatee County, there has been one case of flesh-eating bacteria so far in 2018 but no deaths. The particular type of bacterial in question is not considered flesh-eating.More news: Novak Djokovic defeats Rafael Nadal to make fifth Wimbledon final
Infection by Vibrio vulnificus is characterized by fever, chills, decreased blood pressure and blistering skin lesions.
If the bacteria enters the bloodstream, the infection can become even more serious with a lethal rate of about 50 percent. The Florida Department of Health said if you are infected, you could see these signs. And, anyone eating shellfish should make sure their food is thoroughly cooked.
Those affected should confer with a doctor if any of these symptoms occur soon after eating raw shellfish or entering the water with open wounds. In patients with wound infection, the wound may heal poorly and may even require surgery.More news: Britain's #EUReferendum was legitimate, says May's spokesman