A number of stumbling seagulls on English beaches seem to be getting a hold of alcohol, causing some to get sick and die, an animal welfare charity says.
However, a representative from the RSCPA centre in West Hatch in Taunton, Somerset doesn't believe this is how they're getting so drunk. According to the charity, the birds are reacting in pretty much the same way as humans do when they drink too much.
"The birds appear disoriented and confused and struggle to stand", explained RSPCA vet David Couper.More news: 'Ant-Man & the Wasp' Dominates Weekend Box Office!
Animal rescuers have been collecting the gulls along the South Coast, fearing, at first, the birds had succumbed to the deadly bacterial disease, botulism.
Couper said that the birds were brought after being found in on beaches across Devon, and a few from Bridport and Lyme Regis in Dorset. It advised vets coming across gulls with beer symptoms to give them a chance to sleep it off.
It is now urging local breweries, distilleries and alcohol producers to check that their waste is secure and can not be accessed by wildlife or birds.More news: Tropical storm Chris is third named storm of 2018 Hurricane season
Although some birds have succumbed to the alcohol poisoning the RSPCA say numerous birds have been successfully rescued and released back into the wild following their ordeal.
It is also thought possible that the gulls have scoffed grain by-products from a brewery in the area. "But the birds absolutely stink of alcohol when we collect them so now our vans smell like pubs".
Anyone with concerns for the welfare of a bird or animal can contact the RSPCA's 24-hour helpline on 0300 1234 999 for advice or to request assistance.More news: Dana White Says Brock Lesnar vs. Daniel Cormier Is Definitely Happening