U.S. spokeswoman Heather Nauert said officials "haven't heard anything. that we wouldn't continue with [military] exercises and planning for summit".
"If it doesn't we'll continue the maximum pressure campaign that's been ongoing", she told Fox & Friends.
"The president is ready if the meeting takes place".More news: Multiple deaths reported after US school bus and truck collide
A statement published by the state-run Korea Central News Agency (KCNA) said North Korea would never accept economic assistance from the U.S. in exchange for unilaterally abandoning its nuclear programme. Kim did assure of his willingness to close the site after their meeting with the South Korean leader Moon Jae-in.
In contrast to previous years, the US and South Korea have taken a low-key approach to their joint military exercises and limited their duration and scope during the apparent thaw with North Korea, which is expected to lead to the summit between Trump and Kim on June 12 in Singapore.
Meanwhile, Chinese government's top diplomat, Wang Yi, said on Thursday the measures North Korea has taken to ease tension on the Korean peninsula should be acknowledged, and all other parties, especially the United States, should cherish the opportunity for peace.
Kim was clearly signaling he's not done yet with the classic North Korean strategy of provocations and demands. But so far the North has not given any public indication of what concessions it is offering, beyond euphemistic commitments to denuclearisation of the "Korean peninsula".
Chinese President Xi Jinping has met twice with Kim over the past two months in what was seen as an attempt to ensure China's interests are upheld in any negotiations between the USA and North Korea. That official confirmed that there's been no contact from North Korea. On Wednesday, the President was briefed on additional statements from North Korea's disarmament negotiator rejecting the United States call for immediate nuclear disarmament and going after Bolton himself.More news: Didier Deschamps explains Lacazette and Martial omissions from France World Cup squad
"We hope. some of the high-level meetings that (the two sides) have been working towards can be held smoothly and. results can be achieved", he said.
This is State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert.
A U.S. official said the North Korean statements had taken the White House off guard after North Korean leader Kim's diplomatic outreach to the US and South Korea.
"The North Koreans aren't happy with what they're seeing and hearing", he said.More news: Hispanic Starbucks customer given cup with racial slur written it