A former CNBC producer was killed when his e-cigarette exploded and lodged into his skull, penetrating his brain, according to an autopsy, the Tampa Bay Times reports. The manner of death is reported as an accident.
In Idaho in January 2017, a man lost several teeth and suffered second-degree burns after a vape pen exploded in his face, according to NBC 6. It still remains unclear as to what prompted the pen to combust in the first place; however, shoddy manufacturing may be an option.
His vape device exploded on May 5, causing his St. Pete home to catch fire.
The cause of death is identified as a projectile wound to the head, Bill Pellan, director of investigations at the Pinellas County Medical Examiner's Office, said Tuesday.More news: NAFTA deal unlikely this week, but negotiations continue, Mexico says
The man was also burned over 80 percent of his body. Wilder told ABC Action News that he, as well as many other local store owners, won't sell unregulated e-cigarettes. In this case, the autopsy noted that D'Elia was using a "mod" type e-cigarette manufactured by Smok-E Mountain.
"Lithium ion batteries fail in other devices as well, but in a laptop, it's on your lap", he said.
One store selling vaping devices says the e-cigarettes come with "no safety features and no regulation".
There have been a few incidents of injuries stemming from vape pen explosions.More news: Christina Aguilera and Demi Lovato release empowering collab 'Fall in Line'
He explained: 'Any other e-cig that has a computer chip in it prevents that from happening'.
Explosions involving vape pens are uncommon, but faulty devices have been the subject of a handful of media report in recent years.
Experts say that people who use vape pens should be careful about how they maintain the batteries.
'It can explode and at that point it can project either the pieces of the lighter itself or the vape pen'.More news: 'Shenmue III' delayed, Shen-moves to a 2019 release window