The 53-year-old is expected to briefly appear in Grafton court on Sunday but Queensland Police won't formally apply for his extradition in front of a magistrate until Monday.
'I had no intention of doing what I did, ' Zhang said to the court.
Police Assistant Commissioner Brian Codd told the Gold Coast Bulletin anyone involved in the abduction of children was "a pretty nasty type of person".
The boy's family arrived in Grafton on Saturday and were reunited with him at the police station.
The 12-year-old boy was allegedly abducted from Mudgeeraba in the Gold Coast Hinterland has been located in NSW.
It is understood that he was found lashed to a headrest by his neck in the backseat.More news: Dave Grohl Set to Record Epic 25-Minute Instrumental Piece
The 12-year-old was last seen by shocked neighbours being pulled into the vehicle in Mudgeeraba on Friday afternoon just as he arrived home from school.
As a precaution, the boy was taken to hospital to be examined.
Earlier, Detective Inspector Marc Hogan said police had established a major incident room at Burleigh and had been searching through the night.
"That gives rise to whether there are other activities they might be involved in".
'We are not at the stage of discussing that at this point, because it would be possibly wrong for me to do that.
"It's the case that both parties were known to each other and there were financial issues involved in the lead-up to the abduction of the child".More news: Arctic Monkeys Release 6th Studio Album, 'Tranquility
When asked about further details about what the financial issues were, the detective inspector said: "It's more along the lines of sort of personal loans with each other, again we're looking into digging into that other stuff".
Police will allege that in the months before the kidnapping "requests were made for money".
Queensland Police Media told Daily Mail Australia the man is likely to face the Southport Court on the Gold Coast on Tuesday.
Police say a 53-year-old man is assisting with inquiries.
Police were also able to track the auto using a traffic camera network before setting up a series of road blocks in an attempt to intercept the driver.
Witnesses told police they saw the boy being taken from the front of his house.More news: Explosion Hits Afghan Capital of Kabul, No Details on Possible Target
The boy was filmed carrying a tennis racquet and wearing a backpack as he walked down a street on the Gold Coast about 3.45pm on Friday.