The operation involves troops from the Egyptian air force, navy and ground forces as well as the police and border guards.
Meanwhile, a video said to be from the Islamic State (ISIS) affiliate in Egypt is calling on jihadists to carry out attacks during next month's presidential elections and warned Egyptians to stay away from polling centers, The Associated Press reported on February 12. The suspects were arrested during sweeping operations in central and North Sinai.
The dead jihadists had been "hiding inside a house in the vicinity of El-Arish city (North Sinai province's capital) following a shoot-out", spokesperson Colonel Tamer al-Rifai said in the statement.More news: Now, Israeli PM Netanyahu faces corruption charges, refuses to quit
It gave no details on any casualties in the operation or any figures on the number of people arrested, but said the assault would continue.
The Armed Forces issued on Wednesday Statement no. 7 on the outcome of "Comprehensive Operation Sinai 2018" that was launched on Friday to fight terrorism in North and Central Sinai and other areas in the Nile Delta and the desert areas west of the Nile Valley.
Moreover, the statement asserted that another six vehicles and 13 motorbikes used by militants were destroyed.More news: USA healthcare spending to rise 5.3% in 2018
Border guards and naval forces were securing the Suez Canal to make sure navigation through the global waterway was not affected, the statement said.
In a 23-minute video shared on social media yesterday, Welayet Sinai threatened to disrupt the presidential election due to take place 26-28 March.More news: Minnesota Timberwolves vs. Houston Rockets - 2/13/18 NBA Pick, Odds, and Prediction
President Abdul Fatah Sisi is expected to easily win a second term as most of the candidates opposing him have dropped out of the race.