The federal government, citing a recent court order, said Saturday that it is again accepting requests for grants of deferred action under the DACA, or "dreamers", program, which has protected thousands of young people from deportation.
The agency said it won't be processing applications for those who have never before received DACA protections and no new applications will be accepted. "So for those of you who have had DACA and need to renew it they will be accepting it", Yasser Sanchez, a Mesa immigration lawyer posted in a live Facebook video.
U.S. District Judge William Alsup ordered a nationwide injunction on the basis that the initial decision to end the program in September was improper and that the Trump administration must maintain the program on a nationwide basis while the legal battle surrounding the program continues.More news: Josh McDaniels' top choice for DC is Cowboys LB coach
The Trump administration had said in September it would phase out DACA by March 5, giving Congress six months to enact a legislative solution that permanently resolved the fate of young immigrants who have lived in the United States illegally since childhood.
But negotiations over a deal on the DACA program froze last week after Trump derided African nations as "sh-hole countries" and asked why more immigrants couldn't come from Norway during the Thursday's closed-door meeting with lawmakers.
This week, bipartisan congressional leaders introduced a deal on DACA that provided $1.6 billion for border security, reformed family-based legislation and codified protections for "dreamers", or DACA recipients, but Trump called the deal a "big step backwards".
The DACA program was created in 2012 by former President Barack Obama to temporarily shield from deportation undocumented immigrants brought to the U.S.as children.More news: PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds Passes 3 Million Players on Xbox One
The ruling doesn't allow immigrants to file new applications. Those accepted for the program received permits to work legally in the US for two years, which could be renewed for additional 2-year periods.
The Trump administration has resumed receiving renewal applications for individuals eligible for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.
Critics of the president's decision to end the policy sued the administration, saying that shutting down the program was arbitrary and done without following the proper legal procedures.More news: Legacy of Martin Luther King celebrated in Yolo County and beyond