The victims were reported to be workers who were employed at the shop and were also living there.
The Fire Brigade will soon be submitting a report to the police stating the cause of the fire which is believed to have started due to a short-circuit.More news: $22 Million Spent on UFO Program Benefitting Friend of Harry Reid
"Some workers managed to run out and escape before the structure collapsed, so the remaining people may still be trapped".
Brihanmumbai Munic-ipal Corporation (BMC) chief Ajoy Mehta has ordered a detailed inquiry into this blaze and asked officials to ascertain if the shop had all the necessary permissions.
After firemen pulled them out of the debris, they were declared dead before arrival at Rajawadi hospital.More news: Align Technology INC (ALGN) Holding Lifted by Atika Capital Management Llc
A disaster management official told the Press Trust of India news agency that 12 workers succumbed to the intense heat and smoke.
The fire affected the electric wiring and installation, stocks, furniture and sheets.
Locals said that the access to exit might have been blocked as most of the bodies were rescued from the bathroom in the rear of the workshop.More news: Atlanta Airport Loses Power, Evacuation Underway
When the neighbours were alerted about the blaze, they tried to douse the fire with water. The officials added that the situation is now under control. The police arrested the owner of the shop for culpable homicide last night.